Tuesday 1 May 2007

I am a Beginner!!

I have just started knitting, and I have to say I am loving it! I only started three weeks ago!

I learned to knit when I was a young girl, but I only ever did about ten to twenty rows of a scarf and then threw it away as boring. However last year my SIL gave me a knitting book for my birthday. I really liked some of the stuff in there but didnt do anything about it until now. I had to teach myself the continental cast-on as I couldnt remember how to do the other style I had been shown, which is a bit of a blessing as I love the long tail cast on, easy peasy. I also had to "phone a friend" regarding why my purl was coming out wrong! Well actually it was "phone a workmate of my sisters" but got fabulous advice. It is hard learning when no-one you know is a knitter but there is some great resources on the internet (thank heavens!) with videoes and pics which are just what I need. I also successfully taught myself to bind off! It is a good feeling when it goes right.

So I have finished my first item which is a Beanie for my daughter. It looks pretty good considering I used the wrong ply. I will post a pic as soon as I get some more batteries for the camera.

I am working on a matching scarf that is in stocking stitch. I thought it would be great cause it would match the hat but it is curling along the edges and I have since found out that is a problem when using stocking stitch for something like that. Bummer. I am loathe to unknit it as I am more than halfway done. I am thinking I will finish it then block it and reassess then.

I am also doing a lounge cushion. I have knitted the striped front in garter stitch and have just started the back which is in decreasing squares. I am going to have to learn to change colours mid row once I get to row 21 and I am hoping to be up for it! I am thinking to use the easiest way I can for this first go and look at the more complicated ones later.

I have bought the yarn for 3 more hats and 1 (garter stitch hee!) scarf and I cant wait to get them done!

Off to knit!